Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What was wrong till that night?

It was 10 at night. The exaust and the dust had ultimately started to settle down, making way for oxygen to seep in . Whole market was over with the hustle bustle of the day and people were unparking their vehicles and heading home. I finished my dinner and trudged onto the otherwise busy pavement and was loitering around when I heard these voices," Look at them ! they are so beautiful!! they fight wow! cmon there! wow what a shot!" .
There were a group of people surrounding a middleaged man who was doing some kind of puppet show.He was a dwarf but pretty well built.It was nothing like I have seen. Two small dolls were fighting against each other. It was as graphic as it could get! they were launching themselves into the air ,somersaulting, kicking the opponent hard, ducking underneath, trying to floor one another.It was as real as two tiny wrestlers out of Gulliver’s travels on the pavement putting up a good show. I had stopped and was witnessing this show
wide eyed,like a kid, awestruck. I was wondering when did toys started coming with embedded AI and sold on street side ! Boy! :0
But slowly I could trace a thin thread running into the hands of the man!,he was dexterous in maneuvering the thread in such intricate ways. Meanwhile those little toys were beating the hell out of each other. If I had bought it,I doubt if would ever be able to host any show like this.And to top it all there was a running commentary in broken English!
After a while the show ended and the crowd having had free fun, started dispersing. I crossed the road and helped myself onto one of the empty benches.Trying to feel the fresh air, I noticed , the man had wound up for the day and carrying his little 'potlee' and he asked a rickshawala.. no guesses the reply was a no!. He was a dwarf as I already mentioned! and had a strange style of walking.He ran across the busy road and into the bus stand. He looked at a few buses here and there and slowly disappeared from my view.
I dont know if he boarded a bus or simply chose to walk. My gaze shifted to the place onto the pavement where he had put up that show.A sense of pity and shame ran through me. I dont know why! I felt sorry for and at the same time a sense of appreciation for the brave dwarf man! Without any delay I placed my rather tall image looking down and out ,besides his, and asked myself a question," What is wrong with me?". This incident kind of changed my perspective.A paradigm shift,though of a small degree. Its wonderful that such simple incidents teach us valuable lessons.
I am Grateful to god, not one but in many ways! :)

No comments: