Thursday, September 21, 2006

I live for myself

Two of them were sitting on a bench by the swimming pool after a nice lunch on a sunny afternoon. A gentle breeze every now and then rustled the leaves. One of them initiated the conversation," What are your thoughts on helping the people in need?, as in how would you go about this?, whom will you approach?". The other person looking at the cool blue water in the pool, said," As of now I can only, think of this , but when it comes to actually doing it .. well!". The other guy said," Would you donate something to the organizations or how about starting something on your own?". He placed his palms on his face rubbing the unshaven chin and said,
" There are already so many people and organizations doing this! why would I go and start something on my own, when I am not very specific as to what exactly I want to achieve. If it is my life's sole purpose , then I would no doubt do this". He continued," Besides I am right now concerned only about myself, my interests , my career. Anything I do is directly originating out of my interest and my personal gain. I read,because it is going to benefit me. Hence right now I can't think of doing much for others!". There was a sense of surprise on his face, and he replied,trying to hide it," Yeah! ". This person, still staring at the waters, thinking of something deeply,said to himself," I do everything for my own gain! I did Art of living for my personal gain.I had no intention of helping the society. I can't think of something, without it serving a purpose for me, my survival. A thing carries no meaning to me if doesn't cater to my personal interest. I am selfish!!".

This conversation happened between me and my friend Srinivas yesterday. :)

No comments: